The Thomastik Dominant Viola strings have a flexible, multi-thread perlon core (wound with silver or aluminum) and have been developed for those musicians who do not want to play on steel strings. The popularity of the Dominant string is certainly also due to its similarity in sound to the gut string , without suffering from the natural disadvantages. The sound of the Dominant string is round, clear and rich in overtones, lively, full and radiant, not metallic and pizzicato as good sounding as bowed. Another advantage lies in the effortlessness with which it can be played. It also retains its mood excellently even under extreme climatic conditions. Available in the following sizes (according to Thomastik's table):
- 1/2 (VSL=32.5cm), comparable to a 1/2 violin
- 3/4 (VSL=34.5cm), comparable to a 3/4 violin
- 4/4 (VSL=36.5-37.5cm), 15-16" viola and available in medium-heavy-soft
- 38.0 (VSL=37.5-39.5cm), 16-16.5' viola
- 39.5 (VSL=39.5-41cm), 16.5-17" viola
- 42.0 (VSL=41-43.5cm) 17"+ viola
VSL stands for "Vibrating String Lenght" and is the distance from the comb to the bridge of the curl.
Click here for the datasheet of Thomastik Dominant viola strings.